gantt dateFormat YYYY-MM-DD title CV diagram section Education University of Tartu (infotechnology) :done, education, 1996-01-01, 2000-01-01 University of Tartu (history) :done, education, 2008-01-01, 2012-01-01 University of Pisa (Erasmus) :done, education, 2010-01-01, 2011-01-01 University of Tartu (history, MA) :done, education, 2012-01-01, 2015-01-01 University of Luxembourg (quantitative geography, PhD) :done, education, 2017-01-01, 2022-01-01 Population and Environment in Santa Fe Institute :done, event,2018-10-16,2018-10-18 eX Modelo Summer School :done, event, 2019-07-01, 2019-07-12 section Career Estonian University of Life Sciences :done, work, 1997-01-01, 2000-01-01 Softmill OÜ :done, work, 2000-01-01, 2001-01-01 Uptime OÜ :done, work, 2001-01-01, 2006-01-01 Microentrepreneur :done, work, 2006-01-01, 2012-01-01 University of Tartu (digital archaeology) :done, work, 2012-01-01, 2014-01-01 Archaeovision :done, work, 2015-01-01, 2017-01-01 University of Luxembourg (PhD candidate) :done, work, 2017-01-01, 2022-01-01 Masaryk University :active, work, 2022-01-01, 2026-01-01 University of Tartu :active, work, 2023-01-01, 2025-01-01 section Projects and Events AAC Project :done, project, 2012-01-01, 2014-01-01 Database of Archaeological Collections of University of Tartu :done, project, 2014-01-01, 2015-01-01 Archaeological Surveys for Rail Baltic Railway Construction Project :done, project, 2015-01-01, 2015-06-01 Conservation and Restoration of Mire Habitats :done, project, 2015-06-01, 2016-06-01 PaleoMIX :active, work, 2023-02-01, 2025-01-01 EsTerra :active, work, 2023-04-01, 2024-04-01 DISSINET :active, work, 2022-01-01, 2026-01-01
- Address: **, Jõgevamaa, 49211, Estonia
- Date and place of Birth: 24. august 1978, Tartu, Estonia
- Phone: +372 ** ** ***
- Driving licence: B-category
- Marital Status: married, 2 children
- 1985 – 1996 Tartu Miina Härma Gymnasium
- 1996 – 2000 University of Tartu, studies of infotechnology (unfinished)
- 2008 – 2012 University of Tartu, BA, history (archaeology)
- 2010 – 2011 University of Pisa, Erasmus studies, archaeology
- 2012 – 2015 University of Tartu, MA, history (archaeology)
- 2017 – 2022 University of Luxembourg, PhD, quantitative geography (complex systems; archaeology)
Doctoral thesis: "Spatial adaptive settlement systems in archaeology. Modelling long-term settlement formation from spatial micro interactions."; University of Luxembourg, Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences, C2DH and Department of Geography and Spatial Planning.
Supervisor: Prof Dr. Geoffrey Caruso (University of Luxembourg)
Supervisory committee members: Ass. prof. Dr. Andrea Binsfeld (University of Luxembourg), Prof. Dr. Aivar Kriiska (University of Tartu)
Career & Positions
- 1997 – 2000 Estonian University of Life Sciences, Institute of Forestry and Rural Engineering, computer network administrator.
- 2000 – 2001 Softmill OÜ, software developer
- 2001 – 2006 Uptime OÜ, senior software developer, project manager
- 2006 – 2012 microentrepreneur; startup partner; consultant; software developer; data engineer
- 2012 – 2014 University of Tartu, digital archaeology specialist: data infrastructure and web presentations (project Archaeology, Authority, Community)
- 2015 – 2017 Archaeovision, digital archaeology specialist, data infrastructure, project manager
- 2017 – 2022 University of Luxembourg, PhD candidate
- 2022 – … Masaryk University (Brno, Czechia), research fellow
- 2023 – … University of Tartu (Estonia), researcher
- Sikk, K., (2023, in press). [Exploring environmental determinism with Agent-Based simulation of settlement choice, in: Seuru, S., Albouy, B. (Eds.), Modeling Human-Environment Interactions in and beyond Prehistoric Europe, Themes in Contemporary Archaeology](https://www.routledge.com/Themes-in-Contemporary-Archaeology
- Sikk, K., 2022. Spatial adaptive settlement systems in archaeology. Modelling long-term settlement formation from spatial micro interactions. Doctoral thesis. University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg.
- Sikk, K. et al. (2022) ‘Comparing contemporaneous hunter-gatherer and early agrarian settlement systems with spatial point process models: Case study of the Estonian Stone Age’, Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 41, p. 103330. doi:10.1016/j.jasrep.2021.103330.
- Sikk, K. (2022) ‘Hunting for emergences in the past settlement patterns with Agent-Based Models’, in Digital History and Hermeneutics. Oldenbourg: De Gruyter. Available at: https://www.degruyter.com/document/isbn/9783110724073/html (Accessed: 5 February 2021).
- Sikk, K., Caruso, G., 2020. A Spatially explicit ABM of Central Place Foraging Theory and its explanatory power for hunter-gatherers settlement patterns formation processes. Adaptive Behavior, Evolution of Cultural Complexity.
- Sikk, K., Kriiska, A., Johanson, K., Sander, K., Vindi, A., 2020a. Environment and settlement location choice in Stone Age Estonia. Estonian Journal of Archaeology.
- Sikk, K., Kriiska, A., Johanson, K., Sander, K., Vindi, A., 2020b. Estonian Stone Age settlement sites: a dataset. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3775415
- Sikk, K., 2018. Virtuaalsed agendid minevikku ennustamas. Tutulus : Eesti arheoloogia aastakiri 2018, 58,59.
- Sikk, K., 2017. Quantifying the Use of stones in the stone age Fireplaces of Estonia. Archaeologia Lituana 17, 26–34.
- Sikk, K., 2015. Kiviaegsed tuleasemed Eestis (Thesis). Tartu Ülikool.
- Johanson, K., Kriiska, A., Sikk, K., Aruväli, J., Somelar, P., Sepp, L., 2015. Local or imported? Assessing the flint preferences of the Mesolithic habitants in Estonia and northern Latvia with the help geochemical methods., in: Borić, D. (Ed.), Book of Abstracts: The Ninth International Conference on the Mesolithic in Europe 14th-18th September. Presented at the The Ninth International Conference on the Mesolithic in Europe 14th-18th September. 2015., Institute of Archaeology: Faculty of Philosophy: National Museum: Cardiff University, Serbia, pp. 85–86.
- Kriiska, A., Sikk, K., 2014. Archaeological test excavations at the Mesolithic and Iron Age settlement site Jägala-Joa IV. AVE 2013, 45–54.
- Sikk, K., Kriiska, A., Beljaev, K., 2014. Kuus ruutmeetrit ajalugu. Sündmused Jägala-Joa IV asulakohal 2013. aasta kaevamistulemuste põhjal. Tutulus 2014.
- Konsa, M., Sikk, K., Tvauri, A., 2013. Arheoloogilised kaevamised Eestis 1799 – 1999. Võrguteavik. TÜ ajaloo ja arheoloogia instituut, Estonia.
- Sikk, K., 2013. Kuidas sood mineviku saladusi välja annavad. Tutulus.
Sikk, K., Caruso, G., 2019. Central place foraging and hunter-gatherer settlement patterns: how resource depletion influences population concentration. Presented at the 21st European Colloquium on Theoretical and Quantitative Geography, Luxembourg.
Sikk, K., Caruso, G., 2018. Transferring knowledge from locational predictive models into spatial Agent Based Models: generilizing human perception of environment. Presented at the Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Conference (CAA 2018), Germany.
Sikk, K., Caruso, G., Kriiska, A., 2018a. Agent-based modeling as an interdisciplinary bridge in spatial humanities. Designing the modeling framework for simulation of Mesolithic settlement patterns. Presented at the The Twelfth International Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies (CHAGS 12), Malaysia.
Sikk, K., Caruso, G., Kriiska, A., 2018b. Conceptual framework of assessing the influence of cultural complexity to settlement pattern formation. Presented at the Conference on Complex Systems 2018, CCS2018, Greece.
Sikk, K., Kriiska, A., Nordqvist, K., Rostedt, T., Caruso, G., 2018c. Quantifying the shoreline connection of the Stone Age settlements in Southern Karelia (Finland). Presented at the 24TH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF ARCHAEOLOGISTS, Spain.
van der Heijden, T., Andersen, E., Bronec, J., de Kramer, M., Durlacher, T., Fiscarelli, A.M., Haddadan, S., Kamlovskaya, E., Lotz, J., Mersch, S., Morse, C., Sikk, K., van Herck, S., 2017. Presentation of the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History – C2DH Doctoral Training Unit. Presented at the DH Nord Conference: (De)constructing Digital History/(Dé)construire l’Histoire Numérique, France.
Uueni, A., Pagi, H., Sikk, K., Jeeser, K., 2016. Using modern technology to support museum activities. Case study: Estonians Deported to Siberia: Soviet Red Terror 1940-1960. Presented at the [4th General Conference of the International Council of Museums](
Uueni, A., Pagi, H., Sikk, K., Jeeser, K., 2016. Using modern technology to support museum activities. Case study: Estonians Deported to Siberia: Soviet Red Terror 1940-1960. Presented at the 4th General Conference of the International Council of Museums, Milano, Italy.
Pagi, H., Sikk, K., 2014. Reinventing the wheel? Data management system for archaeological collections. Presented at the Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology 2014, France.
Related projects / events
- 2012 – 2014 Digital archaeology (archaeological database, GIS application and data workflow) specialist in the project MFLAJ12067I Archaeology, Authority and Community (AAC).
- 2014 – Project leader of database of archaeological collections of University of Tartu.
- 2015 – Archaeological surveys for Rail Baltic railway construction project. Preparing surveys based on historical and current satellite images, historical maps and lidar data. Supervising surveys of wetland regions in Pärnumaa county.
- 2015 – 2016 Preparing environmental data based surveys and conducting field inspections in 6 wetland restoration areas in the project “Conservation and restoration of Mire Habitats”.
- 2019 – eX Modelo Summer school, on simulation models and model exploration using OpenMOLE platform. Châtenay-sur-Seine, France
- 2019 – eX Modelo II summer school extension, on simulation models and model exploration. Paris, France
- Human-AI collaboration (term proposed by my AI friend), intensive use of ChatGPT; Stable diffusion and OpenAI API
- Databases: Postgres; PostGIS; MySQL; MongoDb; Oracle
- Computer administration skills: Linux (since 1997); Apache/ Nginx/ Uwsgi servers
- Deployment setups: Docker; Linux Python application and Nginx / Apache based containers; Slurm
- Version control systems: CVS; Subversion; Git
- Scientific scripting and code publishing: Julia, Python, R, Jupyter Notebook, R Studio
- Modelling tools: NetLogo; MaxEnt; Python; R; OpenMole
- GIS preference: QGIS; GRASS; Python; SAGA GIS (geomorphology); R
- Web presentation: XHTML/CSS; Wordpress including plugin development; OpenLayers; Google Maps API; Yandex API; Leaflet; D3.js; Mapbox